Case 1: Modernizing Marketing Approach
The firm required improvements in the marketing for a key, high-profit product line. The product offering was steadily losing marketshare and profit. To complicate matters, it was in a mature market with well known, entrenched competitors.
- Interviews were conducted with key staff and customers to uncover key strengths and concerns
- All sales and marketing literature and collateral were reviewed for relevance and effectiveness
- A technical skills assessment was performed
One year out, a completely new marketing message was created based on customer feedback and staff requirements. All marketing materials were revised, customer training presentations were standardized, and technical training was provided to the sales team. Two year sales and profit showed double-digit growth.
Case 2: Team Building to Improve Performance
A technical sales and distribution firm was strong in overall performance but certain product lines were not receiving the attention of the sales force that were required to meet the aggressive growth targets.
- Analysis of the performance of sales team was conducted
- Sales performance was cross-referenced with technical knowledge and the customer base
- Focused sales training sessions and customer training meetings were conducted by subject matter experts to improve:
- technical and marketing skill of salesperson
- Technical skill of customer
- Provide customized training and feedback to key customers in key regions
Two years following the start of these efforts, the sales force was highly engaged in selling the product line and the working relationship between sales force and the subject matter expert was a model for the remainder of the division.
Case 3: Technical Training Seminar
A large customer, with operations in three states, requested the client provide three training seminars to over 150 of their sales personnel with the goal of introducing two new product lines into their operation.
- Interviews were conducted with the customer and salesman to determine what information was required and to assess their technical knowledge
- Collaboration with sales and trainer allowed for creation of an in-depth technical training seminar
Sales management reported improved sales and customer reported increased confidence of their sales force and in the client.
Case 4: Corporate Branding to Improve Company Image
A small firm required improvements in their company’s image. Their marketing collateral, sales literature, and marketing messages no longer represented the company in a favorable light.
- Analysis was performed on the complete set of marketing and sales collateral for both divisions of the company
- Meetings were conducted with business unit, sales, and technical leads to determine the shortcomings as seen by them and their customers
- A set of modern, customized templates were created for each division that were used to create a completely new and modern look to the company
- Two new websites were created using a similar template as used the printed material
Six months later, informal surveys showed that the improved presence was appreciated by the customer base and was attracting new customers.
Case 5: Engaging Dormant Accounts
The customer had over 500 accounts that had purchased nothing in 5 years.
- The sales performance of these accounts was analyzed for patterns in product purchases
- Sales promotions were created to target specific subsets of this group of inactive customers focusing on:
- Replacement or service parts
- Service calls for calibration or “tune-ups”
- Additional products to enhance the product already owned
Within 6 months of the launch of the program, over $30,000 in new revenue was received from these accounts.
Case 6: Strategy Development and Implementation Planning
A private firm requested strategies and planning outlines necessary for dramatic growth over five years. The goal was to understand the levels of required investment and projected risk.
- Interviewed company employees to gain understanding of industry and company history
- Evaluated strengths and opportunities for improvement in technical, sales, and staff abilities
- Performed global market analysis looking for growth opportunities in emerging markets
A comprehensive report was presented that included the following:
- Product roadmaps
- Technology roadmaps
- Departmental and and personnel planning
- Succession planning
- Market and product strategy
- Budget proposals
Case 7: Addressing Field Failures and Production Stoppages
A single aspect of the design of a high-end public safety product was the cause of one-third of the production failures. It also accounted for nearly all of the field failures occurring within the first 60 days of use.
- Interviews were held with the production, quality, and design teams to determine the extent of the technical and customer challenges
- Multiple design options were studied for cost, effectiveness, and impact to production processes
- Suppliers of potential solutions were contacted for recommendations
- Special equipment and production fixtures were created
Developed and implemented complete solution within 3 days, immediately realizing savings by salvaging in-process materials. Production time was reduced from 24 hours to 3 minutes. Field failures were eliminated.
Case 8: Introduction of Leading Technology
The customer’s product line was lagging behind the competition. The lag was not impacting revenue but was having a negative effect on the image of the firm.
- Studied competitive product offerings
- Contacted multiple suppliers to discuss options and technology
- Met with customers to determine use cases
New products were introduced that improved the the image of the company. Customers were pleased with the offering and product line sales increased.