Are you tired of long meetings with no apparent purpose or outcome?
Where is your firm on the meeting effectiveness scale where:
0 = Waste of Time and 10 = Highly Effective
Interesting data showing the current state of the typical business meeting
- 15% of an organization’s collective time is spent in meetings – HBR.org
- 50% of meetings considered as time wasted – Atlassian.com
- Salaried employees average 45 working hours per week
Results per employee:
- 28 hours or 3.5 days per month in meetings
- 14 hours or 1.75 days wasted in meetings per month
An effective meeting has two characteristics that distinguish it from defective ones:
- Meetings exist to make decisions, not report results
- Memoranda are for reporting
- Discussion should take place only to achieve point #1
- Proper meeting preparation should obviate the need for most discussion
How will you know your meetings are more Effective?
- RESULTS: Action items being completed
- ON-TIME: Schedules are met
- EARLY: Meetings end early, not late, and agenda is covered
- EXPECTATIONS: Attendees will know what is expected
- ACCOMPLISHMENTS: Attendees will know what was accomplished
What will you change today that will impact the effectiveness of your time and that of your firm?
Copyright 2015 Doug Ringer
Doug’s Blog is a weekly memo, which is always powerful and to the point. It focuses on innovative ideas to help organizations define, develop, and launch amazing products, and take them to the right customers quickly.
You may subscribe and encourage others to subscribe by clicking here.
Privacy statement: Your email address is never shared with anyone for any reason.
Check out my bi-weekly column in Product Design & Development at www.PDDNet.com